I am no expert about operating systems, but from what I have heard, XP is
not much of a significant improvement from 2000/NT in terms of performance.

I upgraded from ME which was very much needed, because, as even Microsoft
admits now, ME was garbage.  XP runs on that same 2000/NT platform and it
mangages memory much better than ME and 98.

I run Bryce, Poser, Flash, Fireworks, Drmwvr, Cinema 4D, 3DStudio Max at the
work place and never really have any problems.  this same machine previously
was on ME and it works much better now.

But of course this is irrelevant to you since you are upgrading from 2000.
But in terms of problems I have had none and using it average 8 hours a day
since Nov. 2001.

-Nmuta