At 22:46 Uhr -0700 14.08.2002, Buzz Kettles wrote:
>.media is available for all member types - it's the stuff of each memberType
>
>.image is available for just certain member types (#bitmap, #flash,
>#vector, #text, etc.) & the stage & MIAWs + there is a batch of
>dedicated lingo to manipulate them.
>
>.picture is the precursor to .image - it's basically obsolete now

except for #fields, which do not have an image property and picture
is the only way to get the image of the field.
I don't understand exactly why the access of an field's image is not
in director's native code, since the access of the picture property
seems to be slower than the one for image.
curently you get the image of a field, by working around a longuish,
slow way using a temporary bitmap member:

on getFieldImage fieldref
   if ilk(fieldref) <> #member then return 0
   if fieldref.type <> #field then return 0
   bm = new(#bitmap)
   bm.picture = fieldref.picture
   returnImage = bm.image.duplicate()
   bm.erase()