On the Mac there's an App called Mediacleaner (don't know if there is
a Win adaption) that is _very_ useful. In Mediacleaner you can open a
QT or other format, and resize, crop, set compression method etc for
audio and/ or video. Then just hit the Process button and go have a
coffee.

If you're comfortable using preselected rates/ settings you can do
most of it in Apple Quicktime Player Pro too (another excellent piece
of software). Open the movie, File> Export movie as QT movie> Use:
and there are the compression rates. Try 2x CD-ROM Sorensson.

-A.