-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of ifmp
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2002 1:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: <lingo-l> Flash & shockwave

RE:
----------
>From: "Jeremy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: <lingo-l> Flash & shockwave
>Date: Sun, Aug 25, 2002, 5:21 PM

>Hey all I have a question. I have a flash class next month which I'm
>looking forward to. Someone asked me today what the difference in
>Shockwave and Flash is, and I didn't really have an answer. I'm pretty
>decent with Director and have a blast with it. Can ya'll give me a
>benefits and drawbacks list of Shockwave and Flash? I've heard that
>shockwave can do much of the same stuff. I'm curious as to what either
>can/can't do that make them desirable. Thanks
----------

That is one fake-looking email. A survey in disguise? Maybe it's just
the way I'm reading it. If so, sorry.

I'll give it a shot:

Director/Shockwave:
- Able to use Flash as just another media type (still waiting for MX
xtra).
- 3d and imaging Lingo.
- Far better quality and control of video, QTVR, MIDI, etc.
- The Spark codec is not as good as Sorenson Basic. Not even close.
- Far more control of the client machine, esp with xtras
- Try opening and controlling a .PDF in Flash.
- Higher pay for top-level Director developers & programmers.
- Lingo is an unusual and fun scripting language.
- xtras make Director extensible.
- Flash is associated publicly with annoying "intro" movies, but not
Director!
- Director/Shockwave mostly runs faster than Flash Player.
- Still more capable for CD-ROM & standalone application development.

Flash:
- Has been, and probably is, easier to learn (at least to a certain
level).
- Advertised and promoted far more than Director by MM. More clients
know what it is.
- Flash is cheaper & no need for 2 platform versions. This is a HUGE
plus for newbies.
- Due to the above, Flash has greater "market share" (some clients use
THAT as criteria).
- ActionScript is a lot like JavaScript (shoe-in for web developers).
- MX ActionScript is _leaning towards_ Director-like fun in programming.
- Far better and faster vector drawing in authoring (but Flash runs IN
Director,,,).
- Works better out of the box with Illustrator and Photoshop.
- There are no "baffle 'em with bull" "Hilman Curtis-type" characters
touting,, Director.
- There are no "Director Forward" conferences or events. There's more
Flash hype by far.
- There are more books written about Flash than Director.

That is by no means complete.

Both Director AND Flash are great. Each is fun in its own way. Most
professional developers end up having to work with both to some degree
anyway.

Steve Bennett
www.ifmp.net

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Problems, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]).