Robert Tweed wrote:

> (for instance, when dragging an object). However, I have recently decided
> that for reasons of performance and usefulness, to avoid the actorList, and
> create my own custom actorList instead. For instance, you can use the
> following frame script:
>
> global gSpecialActorList
>
> on enterFrame me
>   if( ListP( gSpecialActorList ) ) then
>     call( #stepFrame, gSpecialActorList )
>   end if
> end
>
> Then use gSpecialActorList in place of the actorList. Since the actorList
> doesn't work in LDMs, and this solution is more efficient, it makes far more
> sense than using the in-built actorList. You can also do things like add
> some extra code for dynamically removing items from the list (you shouldn't
> modify the actorList in a stepFrame handler). You could use multiple lists,
> and turn them on and off as required. The possibilities are endless.

This is a nice idea, especially because of how it relates to LDMs, my
favourite unsupported director feature :-)

But, just to point out to anyone interested calling "updateStage" will
send out a "stepFrame" call to all the objects in the actorList while
enterFrames are triggered during an updateStage command. This may have
some concesquences if you do a series of updateStage calls during a
tight repeat loop, which is probably not a good thing to do anyways, but
I just thought I'd point this out.

later,

Rob