ok thats maybe why its giving me errors , thank for the help though it
v-much appriciated

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Buzz Kettles
Sent: 19 September 2002 18:15
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: <lingo-l> RE: Id3tags mp3 player question?

typo in original post - please throw that one away

At 5:36 PM +0100 9/19/02, you wrote:
>Thanks for the reply but im trying to get the id3tag data from the mp3
files
>and this is the only way im aware of ( after reading the help files on
it)it
>says that you can only get at the tags by using the preloadbuffer comand?
do
>you now of any otherway?

So here's the trick that I use:
I use a dummy streaming member JUST to get the tags
I don't actually play the sound through it, I just extract the tags.

Here's how it works:

If you haven't already, make your regular sound members into linked members.

-- make a dummy streaming member.
-- assign the filename of each regular member to the dummy streamer
-- perform preLoadBuffer() on it to get the tags into memory
-- extract the id3Tags

dummyStreamer = new(#swa)

dummyStreamer.filename = member("Song1")
dummyStreamer.preLoadBuffer()
put dummyStreamer.id3tags into gSong1List

-- repeat to get the other tags ...
dummyStreamer.filename = member("Song2").filename
dummyStreamer.preLoadBuffer()
put dummyStreamer.id3tags into gSong2List

-- when done, throw away the dummy streaming member
dummyStreamer.erase()

hth

-Buzz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Problems, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]). Lingo-L is
for learning and helping with programming Lingo.  Thanks!]