Have you tried putting the quicktime into a miaw (same size as quicktime and
set to be miles off stage) then grab the image of the miaw stage?
Not sure if this will have implications on performance though as I think you
will need the quicktime set to be not DTS.
My other thought is, if you know in advance what video's there are to choose
from, then simply grab images from them in authoring, store them and call as
needed.
Hope this helps

Brad