From: "Jonathan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 3:49 PM
Subject: <lingo-l> Optimizing streaming media

hi!
I sure hope you can help me. I've got a shockwave up on a test server, and
it starts to play, but the initial music and voice over don't play right
away.

I've created looping animations that ask to please wait while media
downloads, and I've got a script preloading those items, but when testing,
it sure does take a long time. The client swears the original (which was
done in like 6.5 or 7) didn't take much time at all. I find this hard to
swallow, but I've known him a long time and trust him, so I swallow it with
a large gulp of green tea.

This issue is compounded by the fact that my testing server is a home DSL,
which uploads poorly, so I've heard. Should a slow DSL make a huge
difference?

The two members are swa's, and I get the distinct feeling they're
downloading fully before playing, although I'm using the loop until media
available, which I supposed would allow the media to start streaming as soon
as it could.

My question is:
How can I get media to absolutely show up without preloading the whole
thing?
Thanks so much for your help. I sure appreciate it, and any time I can I
will certainly repay the favor.
I read this forum on a regular basis, and look forward to giving back.
 - Jonathan Hall
production artist - Studio North Creative
www.studionorthcreative.com

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Problems, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]). Lingo-L is
for learning and helping with programming Lingo.  Thanks!]