I can understand that 16 lists and then 16 duped lists might be a lot - I
did something extremely similar - hell I might still have it online -using
beatnik. But I only had one list for all tracks. So it was one duped list.

I just wonder which is the worst overhead - 16 duped lists vs 16 timeout
objects. Or hell why not one timeout object that tells all tracks to
update?

And there'd really be no repeat loops - it'd merely be a comparison. Let's
say that one entry of your mixer channel would be something like [#time:
23004, #volume: 100, #pan:50]

Right? so then you'd just have something like

on enterframe me
        if playbackmode then
                if myVidChannel.movietime < dupedplaybackList[1].time then
                        -- set volume
                        -- set pan or whatever
                        dupedPlaybackList.deleteAt(1)
                end if