This may seem like an obvious question, but how do I restrict text input of a text member to its field size?

I've tried enabling the 'Limit To Field Size' framing option from the text member properties, but it won't let me and instead resets to the last setting I chose. The text member I'm using is not editable, but even when I make it editable the 'Limit To Field Size' option still won't activate.
Why can't I limit the text?? Is there another way this can be achieved? Can someone please help me out?

Failing that, is it possible to detect where a particular text character in a text member is on screen by means of pixel coordinates?

Drekinn

"It's not a bug, it's a random feature."