And now my little thread has come full-circle. Thanks for all of the insights... Brennan, you brought me back to where I started, with Applescript as the means to the final end product. It is indeed a nice tool for those of us that prefer to live on the Mac side (Yes, it is nicely accessible to Lingo people - well worth the time to investigate).

I was hoping for a completely Dir/xtra solution, but I kinda knew from the outset that it wasn't up to the task. But, I hope this thread inspired a few list members to pursue Lingo's possibilities as the scripting language that it is... we get tend to get bogged down in its playback engine, and forget how powerful a tool it is for making utilities. I tend to use Director and fileIO instead of bbEdit or similar tools for manipulating xml docs these days... batching really complex greps is just simpler to do in Lingo, at least for me. Dir is a great tool for building "stuff", outside of just making stuff that plays back in the projector or shockwave environments.

Thanks for all the fish,
Kurt