Hi Bastien,

if the runMode contains "Author" then
  -- do authoring stuff
else
  -- do projector stuff
end if

The runMode strings are:
 Author-The movie is running in Director.
 Projector-The movie is running as a projector.
 Plugin-The movie is running as a Shockwave plug-in or other scripting
environment, such as LiveConnect or ActiveX.
 Java Applet-The movie is playing back as a Java applet.

That's D8.5 - MX might be different.

Karina