If one or the other is not feasable, or you don't have enough time, it might
be quicker to create a loader mc with the on/off function, which will load
your flash swf, set the sound on/off etc. Then you end up with only one
flash cast member within director, which calls up others.

PS:This is again off the top of my head - I know both Director and Flash,
but haven't had to deal much with the combination...

Karina