> The external cast needs to be included? In both the MIAW and
> in the stage movie? I assume I just use the (in somewhat
> pseudo): castlib(whatCast).fileName = moviePath &
> "myfolder:mycast.cst"

It doesn't need to be included in the projector, but it needs to be
specifically linked. Modify | Movie | Casts | Link. Choose the cast,
save and compact. That's the only way the movie knows to use that cast.

I'll admit a little uncertainty on the MIAW issue. I'm pretty sure the
cast needs to be linked to the stage movie, but I could be wrong. Try
linking it to the MIAW movie first, then if it doesn't work, link it to
the stage movie too. I'd appreciate a confirmation.

> I'm in the middle of developing a project where I set up the
> stage first by importing and creating cast members in the
> internal cast and then putting them on stage by assigning
> them to sprites; these cast members are used for navigational
> purposes and does not take a lot of memory.

Ok, just a couple of caveats. First, have a place-holder sprite for the
sprites you're going to assign. It can be a zero-pixel bitmap (open the
paint window, name the cast member, and close the paint window without
drawing anything), and of course the same cast member can be used for
all the place holder sprites.

Also, you will probably want to specifically puppet the sprites when you
assign them new members.

> The actual content consists of a lot of swf-files (and some
> with quicktime
> movies) that are pretty heavy (that's one of the reasons why
> I want to use several external casts).

The swfs can be heavy, but you do know that QT files are always
external, don't you? They're linked by nature, even if the cast is
internal.

> What I have done is crate an empty cast to  which I the
> assign another one using fileName (see part of code below)...
> So I have createted the casts and linked them to my main
> movie (setting up searchPaths and such for the main movie to
> know about).This all works fine during authoring; but my
> problem started when I created a projector for testing (just
> included the main movie and the xtras I need). The projector
> runs fine EXCEPT it does not load any of the members in the
> external casts. I do not get any error message; it just does
> not show the cast members on stage.
>
> Below is part of the code I am using, like I said...
> authoring-mode is excellent but when creating projector it
> does not work...
> --
> castLib("Content").fileName = the moviePath & "Assets:Content.cst"
>
> repeat with i = 1 to the number of members of castLib("Content")
>     setMemberPropsOfMe = member(i, "Content").name
>     setExternalFlaMemberProps(setMemberPropsOfMe)
> end repeat
> --

Ok, I assume your projector is on a Mac. If it's on Windows, you'll need
to use the \ path seperator.

Is the projector in the same folder as your dir file? That is, does the
Assets:Content.cst cast exist as a subfolder? I'm not sure what
setExternalFlaMemberProps does--does it import swf files? If so, do you
have specific paths to those swf files?

If you're using 8.5 or later, it's time to set the debugPlaybackEnabled
= TRUE and do some puts to see what's happening in the projector.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson