Maybe the files are corrupt. I'm getting an error message that it's a
format QT doesn't recognize. I can put them on my ftp site if you'd like
to take a look at them.

Sure. You know I guess that MPEG-4 is both a file format and a video compressor (but would more fully be called MPEG-4 Video when it's a video compressor). Your files may be MPEG-4 with a different kind of video compressor.