I have a QTVR sprite that doesn't quit blinking (its visibility) when its
being used by the user (tilted, zoomed, pan, etc/...)
it doesn't happen when it is NOT set as a direct to stage sprite..

what could my movie be doing that causes that strange behavior???

Not much, in my experience. But the non-direct-to-stage stability is strange.
1. What scripts are active on the frame you are looping on?
2. Is there any Flash sprite on the same frame as the QTVR? In that case, are they overlapping one another? If so you will get blinking unless you turn off direct to stage for one of the sprite members. No two objects with direct to stage activated can overlap each other on stage - not two QTVRs or two Flashes either.
3. What codec are you using for the QTVR? Photo JPEG is a good QTVR codec (although there may be better ones), Sorenson is not very good for QTVR.

Luiz