> 32-bit would be fastest from the point of view of
accessing (quickest to access a 32-bit offset) but it's a pig when it comes
to space.

Thanks Tab and all who answered. The 1-bit, 8-bit or 16-bit solutions don't
interest me, because my images are and have to be 24-bit.

Can anybody please confirm that 24-bit images always take up the same memory
space as 32-bit images?

And if so:
Can anybody tell me why in the import-dialog box for cast members one can
choose betwenn 32-bit (stage) and 24-bit (media) and above all why these
settings seems to have no effect at all?

I mean there must be some reason?

Thanks again!

Michael