Hi all,

I have a kind of strange situation involving Windows XP (no intent here
to go back to last weeks border war skirmish between the forces of
Windows vs. Mac).

In the past month we released an application built in Director MX that
was replicated commercially on 1000 CDs.  It is for windows only, and
operated fine on 98, 2000, Me, and XP home and pro versions during
testing.  So far we've sold about 70 copies, at least some of which are
to XP users (I know this because some of them make use of the online
features built into the application, which gives us info about their
OS).

No problems at all from any of the XP users until a few days ago, when
one guy phones to say that the CD won't even show in his drive (he has
winXP home version) when he clicks on My Computer (no icon, and a prompt
when the drive is clicked saying there is no cd in it).  It worked fine,
however, in his laptop, which runs Windows ME.  I had him return it to
our rep in his city and exchange it.  The new CD does the same thing, as
well as when the rep tries the returned CD in his own windows xp
(professional) it does the same thing on HIS computer, meaning it wasn't
just an isolated hardware or software conflict on the first guy's
system.  Hmm.  So I have him return the CDs to us, but when we test it
here (in a computer running winXP pro outside of our office network, so
as not to be a part of the development environment), it works fine.

I'm not quite sure what we're up against here.  I have had a few people
confused when running the Installshield setup program on XP or 2000, due
to user permissions, but that is easily solved by having them log in
with administrative rights.  This, however, doesn't even show the CD in
the first place in the drive on a small number of computers.

Anyone run into anything like this before, or have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Dempsey
ICT and Education Consultant