Hi,

   I've been doing something similar except I load the variables from a text
file in Director and then send those to flash, and then back again for
saving.

   I found the most convenient way to work with push / pulling of text from
a flash sprite was using flash's variable containers. You can access a flash
variable using something like

sprite(mysprite).getVariable(flashvariableName, string)

   And to change a flash variable's value use something like

sprite(mysprite).setVariable(flashvariableName, newValue)

   Although for the images I've never tried exchanging that information with
a Flash sprite, although the most immediate way I can think to suggest is
for Director to also load it as an external cast member?

Hope this helps to get ya started. If I can help any more let me know, I did
not go in to too much detail as I don't know if you plan for this to work on
or offline.

Regards,
Peter Witham
Internet and Multimedia Solutions