Sorry for the late reply, catching up on a bit of old mail...

I believe I have used something written by Kerry that allowed callbacks or parameters for timeouts...a sort of timeout wrapper class that worked rather well as I recall...might be worth a dig in the archives, cause unfortunately I can't find the link right now....

Google to the rescue:
http://maclux-rz.uibk.ac.at/maillists/direct-l/msg03740.shtml

Is that kind of what you mean?

~Mathew