hi michael,

glad you asked:-) I've written a little scripting xtra called
"hyphenator" for this purpose. It uses a simplified version of the
famous
"TeX hyphenation algorithm", that many professional dtp-programs use as
well (eg. quark). It can be
configured to work with arbitrary (almost) languages by way of external
"pattern" files (which are included in TeX/LaTEx distributions)
You can download a beta version from
http://dasdeck.de/staff/valentin/xtras/hyphenator/win/
unfortunately no mac version yet, but it could easily be ported (as soon
I find someone who actually needs it, so please send me a note if you
need it for mac)

best,
valentin