On Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004, at 20:06 Europe/Stockholm, roymeo wrote:

I have some text moving horizontally.

It appears above an image that has a variable blend value.

I want to mask the text, so it only appears over the 'background' area of the image, and not the 'foreground' part of the image.

How do I set up some sort of mask that can block the text only in those certain areas, but the mask itself must be invisible so it doesn't interfere with the image's blending.

Well you can't use mask ink because it doesn't work on text or Alphaed bitmaps, so you can't reveal just the text without revealing the text background color at the same time.

My suggestion is you make a mask with imaging Lingo. The text will probably have to be an image, don't know if it's possible to set the alpha of a text.

The mask should be a grayscale composite of the shape of the text and the image behind, in the way that the letter shapes and the background of the image behind appear white, and the rest is black. That's the alpha. Then you have to map this alpha on the textimage. Unfortunately you will have to create a new mask for each exitframe, and doing so and mapping it on the text(image) will be slow.

If you want to see a demo, it's here:
http://bokning.konstfack.se/gdi/andreas/happyeurope/

It's not quite the same application as your idea, but check out the "wandering blue flash" on the Happy Europe text.

-Andreas