Hi Cath,

did I understand your question right that you want to provide your own
Dialup-connection instead of using the system's default internet
connection method?

If yes, here some ideas:
- first you should check if the target computer actually uses
DialUp-Networking and has a modem installed, eg. by checking some
registry values. If Dialup Networking is installed, the key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\RemoteAccess\
has to exist, otherwise it doesn't exist. All existing connections
(connectoids ) are listed under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\RemoteAccess\Profile\

- you could try to provide your own *.DUN file (which is a special INI
that contains dialup-connection-infos). you can easily generate such a
DUN file by creating a Dial-Up connection (connectoid ) with the correct
settings on your own system and dragging it to any folder or the
desktop. You can install this DUN file on the user's system with calling

Win 9x:
RUNDLL32.EXE RNAUI.DLL,RnaRunImport "<path-to-DUN-file>"

Win XP (and propably NT/Win2k):
RUNDLL32.EXE NETSHELL.DLL,InvokeDunFile "<path-to-DUN-file>"

you can do this with Buddy API like
baRunProgram( "RUNDLL32.EXE RNAUI.DLL,RnaRunImport <path-to-DUN-file>",
hidden", false )
baRunProgram( "RUNDLL32.EXE NETSHELL.DLL,InvokeDunFile
<path-to-DUN-file>", "hidden", false )

A problem might be that a DUN file also contains information about the
modem to use, in section [Device]. Maybe you could find out the
installed modems from the registry and generate a DUN file with the
apropriate modem on the fly. You could even generate the full DUN-file
with Buddy API's baWriteIni().

After the DUN-file is imported, you can open a dialup connection by
using the entry name that is specified in the DUN file (line
"Entry_Name=..." in section [Entry]).

On Win9x you start a DialUp-connection with calling
RunDLL32 RNAUI.DLL,RnaDial <entry name>
eg. with Buddy API: baRunProgram( "RunDLL32 RNAUI.DLL,RnaDial <entry
name>", hidden", false )

On Win NT/2k/XP with:
RASDIAL.EXE <entry name>
eg. with Buddy API: baRunProgram( "RASDIAL.EXE <entry name>", hidden",
false )

To uninstall the temporary connection, you can use
RASPHONE.EXE -r <entry name>
for Win NT/2k/XP, but I don't know how you could do this on Win 9x.

Good luck,
Valentin