Hi Folks,

I need to grab ASCII codes for chars in a very large string and drop those codes into a list. At the moment, I'm doing the obvious and simple i.e. looping to the number of chars in the big string and returning the code for each char retrieved with charToNum() then appending the code to the list.

repeat with x = 1 to the number of chars in reallyBigString
        thisCode = charToNum(char x of reallyBigString)
        append(myCodeList,thisCode)
end repeat

This is very inefficient and slow, particularly under OS X. Is there any slick way to do this (more) efficiently?...perhaps break it up somehow to run more quickly?

TIA,

Gilles