check the mime type settings of the server.
some recent microsoft server software does return a 404 if the requested file has an unknown extension for security reasons.
somehow the quys in redmond manage to patch their software in a way, that they leave the security holes open for malicious software, but nonetheless make our life harder in that the non-malicious software stops working...
;-)