It's major text processing stuff - perfect Perl job. For me, at least, it'd be much harder (if possible) to do it in AppleScript. Probably even possible to do a native-lingo version but that'd be many more lines of codes and maybe (almost certainly) slower. I'm around the permissions thing now...so that's good. All I have now is (what seems to be) an isolated MacPerl-related problem on a single Mac. So, things are looking up.

Gilles