>Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 06:20:52 -0700
>From: "Mark A. Boyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: <lingo-l> DirectMedia Xtra question
>
>At 05:53 AM 9/8/00, James & Mary Hudson wrote:
>>Hi, I have a project and it seems that the DirectMedia Xtra is going
>>to solve a lot of my problems with MPEG video. The question I have is
>>how to test to see if the user's machine has Directshow installed so
>>that it can be used. Is it like looking for Acrobat by searching the
>>registry? How would one go about doing this? I am not a registry or
>
>For the 3rd time:
>
>Acrobat has nothing to do with DirectShow or MPEG playback at all. This is
>straight from the docs for DirectMedia:
>
>isDirectShowInstalled (member x)
>Returns 1 (TRUE) or 0 (FALSE). Can be used to determine if DirectShow
>(formerly ActiveMovie) is installed on the user's machine. You should use a
>valid DirectMediaXtra cast member index to access this function.
>
>Example:
>isDirectShowInstalled(member 1)
>   if the result=0 then
>     alert("Please install DShow")
>   else
>     --nothing
>   end if
>
>Did I miss any of your cross posts?
>- --
>Mark A. Boyd
>Keep-On-Learnin' :)

Thanks for your help. Yes, I realize that Acrobat has nothing to do
with video or mpeg playback. I was referring to the "method" of using
Buddy API to find out if it is already installed by looking at the
registry and if this method was similar  to finding out if Directshow
was already installed on the user's system.

I am using the demo version right now, while I  show the client that
this is a desirable solution ie:" purchase"  I did not find a
reference to this in any of the docs that came with that. Maybe I
didn't look hard enough, or in the right place.

 I'm not sure what you mean by that last line there about crossposts,
unless you read the Director Newsgroup, and the Director List. I was
only trying to maximize my return response and not irritate or cause
problems. I apologize if having read this question three times caused
undue stress. :)

I just try to use as many resources as possible when trying to find
answers. If this is a no-no, then I will only send the question to one
of these three resources.

At least I'm not sending HTML format email to the list as I see a lot
of people doing. :)

Anyway, I really do mean it when I say thanks for the help. The
patience of experienced users is the only thing that keeps us newbies
going sometimes.

Regards, James