> when I try to embed Xtras in a shockwave movie, (nothing
> fancy - stuff like the animated gif or trying to read an ole
> jpeg) - either I get an error, or it simply doesn't work.

That's it - it doesn't work.  You can embed Xtras in projectors (although
it's often discouraged), but you don't embed them in dcrs.  Shockwave movies
use Xtras that are installed at the system level, within the
shockwave->xtras directory.  If they're not there initially, they need to
get there via downloading or installing, and they need to be shockwave-safe
in order to work.

Which leads into another discussion...you may find that some of the
functionality you want doesn't work in Shockwave, even if you drop the Xtra
into the system-level Xtras directory.  This is due to Shockwave's security
model.  For more info on how & why, search for Technote 13653 on the
Director Support site.

Hope this helps,
Rob

* Rob Wingate, Software Human    *