I'm working on an audio-intensive Director app that needs to coexist
peacefully with other audio-heavy apps on the end user's system.
Specifically, I need to know if another external app (ex: RealPlayer) has
control of the waveaudio device, and, if so, disable the waveaudio-dependent
functionality within my app (or prompt the user to close the other app).

I've researched Xtras, but haven't found one that can return the waveaudio
device status.  Is there an Xtra (or an ActiveX control) that I may have
overlooked?

For now, I've turned to Lingo's mci command. I've been able to open the
waveaudio device and play a .wav file via Lingo, but am coming up short on
capturing the status of the device.  (Any mci experts out there?  mci
"status waveaudio mode" returns an error. )

Platform specs:
--Win 98 and Win 2000
--Dir 7.0.2 (v8 is not an option)
--soundDevice = DirectSound
--includeds speech-related ActiveX controls (DirectSR and DirectSS)

Thanks in advance for the help.

--Liz