I would say delete the 'me' in "quit me":

on mouseUp me
quit
end

The thing to take into notice is that the 'quit' command does quit the
Director application while you are authoring, and sometimes it can be
annoying while you are testing it. Instead, use 'halt' command. In Director,
the 'halt' command stops the movie. In projectors, it acts just like 'quit'
command and quits the projector.

Hope it helps :)

I am looking for a piece of lingo code that I can attach to a 'sprite' in
Director 7, which will enable the user to quit the projector using the on
mouseUp command. I tried using the following piece of script which I
attached to a sprite in Director 7:

on mouseUp me
quit me