>there's an odd director behavior that i've found about lingo and letters
>with accents. shouldn't lingo be not case sensitive?

Lingo is case-insensitive for characters with the high bit reset--IOW,
ASCII value <= 128 (and >= 65). It's an English bias, for sure--ASCII is a
7-bit standard, and doesn't support any accented characters (officially).

ANSI, the standard used on Windows, is functionally the same as ISO 8859.1,
Latin 1, which does support accented characters for most Western European
languages. Mac doesn't use ANSI, though, so there's a bit of a problem.
Director's pretty good about maintaining characters cross-platform,
though--if you type "niño" in a text member in Windows, it will display
correctly on the Mac.

That doesn't extend to cast member names, variable names, etc. There's a
pretty good reason for this, too. While you can generally add 32 to the
ANSI value of an upper-case accented character and get the corresponding
lower-case character, the accented letters aren't contiguous, or in any
particular sort order, unlike A-Z and a-z. For example, Ö and ö are ANSI
214 and 246, but 215 and 247 are × and ÷, followed by Ø and ø at 216 and 248.

It's admittedly a kludge, and a clear English bias, but we're stuck with it
until Unicode becomes universal.

Cordially,
Kerry Thompson
Learning Network