Heh, guess you missed the flash drama I posted on
Direct-L over the last 2 weeks.

A) Which version of Windows are you using?
B) What kind of sound card are you using?
C) What resolution is the stage at?  Is the monitor
   resolution set to the exact same resolution?

You might think C is a bit stupid, but wait.
It is totally stupid, and lame, oh, and stupid.
Yet, it doesn't change the fact that my flash
movies would not play their embedded sound on
my client's laptop because his desktop resolution
was set higher than the Director movie's resolution.
(I had no sounds in Director and the SKD = FALSE).
Um, ok.  Whodathunkit?

If you are on a laptop, you will never get
reliable sound in Flash in Director, which
is a dogdy thing anyway, even on a desktop/tower
(unless you've got a decent sound card) because
of the way that Windows handles sound.  Somebody
here can probably give you the technical reason,
but the basic answer is that Windows can
only accept sound from one source (normally),
and Director and Flash count as two different
sources.

There is a system property called the soundKeepDevice
which doesn't really work as well as it should
when set to FALSE.

You cannot reliably turn the flash sound off permanently,
so you can't just write lingo code to play the sound in
Director, instead, which would require that you get the
sound effect from the client anyway.  I suggest you ask
them for the .fla file OR ask them to send you an .swf
and the sound effect file, and to reprogram the flash
movie to play an actionscript instead of the sound effect.
The actionscript should be
getURL("event: playFlashSound");

Then, put a behavior on the flash sprite that looks like this:

on playFlashSound me
  puppetSound 3, "flashSoundEffect"
end

That's the only reliable solution that I can think of.
Maybe the client will decide it isn't worth the effort
to reprogram the little flash movie and will give you
the source code so you can do it.

By the way, if you play this on a laptop and you
play the flash sound before the QT movies, you might
not get sound on the QT movies.  Just to let you know,
but I had that exact problem.

HTH,
Steven Sacks