Sure:

*FileIO xtra - ships with Director:
easy but limited use - great for text files

*FileXtra - shipped with Director until v. 6.5, I think:
Now available in v. 3.0 - FREE - more functions than fileIO
Look on http://www.director-online.com/
or
http://kblab.net/xtras/

The two forementioned Xtras are a pretty potent cocktail, when used
together.

Otherwise

*Buddy API - NOT FREE, performs a wide range of file & system tasks;
http://www.mods.com.au/

Search articles on director-online.com for Xtras tutorials.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Clars Danvold