As far as I know, there is no way to group sprites in the interface.
There are a few approaches to "grouping" sprites using Lingo. Here is a
simple approach using sprite messaging. There are obvious limitations to
this method, but it outlines one way of Lingo sprite grouping.

Rich

----- spriteGroupReceiver

property pGroup

on doGroup me, group, action
  if pGroup = group then do action
end

on getBehaviorDescription
  return "Executes an action on a specified sprite group, sent via
sendAllSprites. Use the following message syntax:
'sendAllSprites(#doGroup, <groupName>, <action>)' where <groupName> is a
group name in string format, and <action> is a Lingo command or handler
name."
end getBehaviorDescription

on getPropertyDescriptionList
  d = [:]
  addProp(d, #pGroup, [#comment:"Group Name:", #format:#string,
#default:""])
  return d
end getPropertyDescriptionList

------ spriteGroupSender

property pGroup
property pAction
property pTrigger

on init me
  sendAllSprites(#doGroup, pGroup, pAction)
end

on getBehaviorDescription
  return "Sends specified sprite group a specified Lingo action. Requires
accompanying 'spriteGroupReciever' behavior."
end getBehaviorDescription

on getPropertyDescriptionList
  d = [:]
  triggerList = [#mouseUp, #exitFrame, #mouseEnter, #mouseLeave,
#mouseWithin, #mouseUpOutside, #enterFrame, #prepareFrame, #beginSprite,
#endSprite]
  addProp(d, #pGroup, [#comment:"Group Name:", #format:#string,
#default:""])
  addProp(d, #pAction, [#comment:"Lingo Action:", #format:#string,
#default:""])
  addProp(d, #pTrigger, [#comment:"Trigger Event:", #format:#symbol,
#range:triggerList, #default:triggerList[1]])
  return d
end getPropertyDescriptionList

on mouseUp me
  if pTrigger = #mouseUp then init me
end

on exitFrame me
  if pTrigger = #exitFrame then init me
end

on mouseEnter me
  if pTrigger = #mouseEnter then init me
end

on mouseLeave me
  if pTrigger = #mouseWithin then init me
end

on mouseUpOutside me
  if pTrigger = #mouseUpOutside then init me
end

on enterFrame me
  if pTrigger = #enterFrame then init me
end

on prepareFrame me
  if pTrigger = #prepareFrame then init me
end

on beginSprite me
  if pTrigger = #beginSprite then init me
end