>How do I link from the Cast in D7 to an external graphic without importing
>that graphic. I have tried importing all the graphics that I need for a
>movie and the result is well over 27 MBytes (clearly prohibitive).

The cast can be any size. If you are saying the you need all those
graphics at once, it's going to take 27 MB of RAM whether they are
internal or linked. If you only need them a few at a time, it
shouldn't make a difference whether they are internal or linked,
Director should still purge the ones its not using to make room for
the ones it needs next.

If you want to have one bitmap that you redirect to a new file, look
at using the command 'set the filename of member "bitmap name" to
fullpath'. Fullpath would contain the full path to the external file.