At 9:20 PM -0600 1/4/01, Bryan Thompson wrote:
>OK, someone please explain this one.
>
>My main project at this time is a one frame movie.  I'm approaching the end
>of the project, and all of a sudden I cannot create a new cast member.
>
>Win98 2E, D8
>
>This is the problem:
>
>myMember = new(#sound)
>put myMember
>-- #sound (the new cast member IS NOT created)
>
>This is how it should work, and does in other movies:
>
>myMember = new(#sound)
>put myMember
>-- (member 11 of castLib 1) (the new cast member IS created)
>
>I have tried everything I can think of... even consulted an expert (my big
>brother Kerry) who was also baffled.
>
>What in the world is different in my main project that produces such an
>unexpected result?

It baffled me too the first time I saw it.  But the explanation is
fairly simple.  99.9% chance that you have what you want to be a
parent script somewhere in your program, but the type of that parent
script is a movie script.  If this is the case, then the "new"
handler in this script is overriding the standard "new" handler in
Lingo.  Go through your scripts looking for "on new", and I'd be
willing to bet large sums of money that one of those scripts is a
movie script when it should be a parent script.

(Kerry should have known this  :)   )

Irv
--
Lingo / Director / Shockwave development for all occasions.

        (Over two millions lines of Lingo code served!)