At 08:47 1/19/2001, Karina Steffens wrote:
>Hi Cole,
>
> > Is your NT server running file server for mac service? This would at
> > least preserve your mac files. You'd still need a mac to upload them,
> > but at least it would be a safe place to keep them.
>
>I think so - it runs PC maclan for the network, and as long as I use the mac
>to copy the file to the server, and don't do anything to the file while it's
>there (like moving it around), it seems to preserve them. Same with my PC -
>it's ok as long as I don't touch it.

It's been awhile, but I seem to have the feeling that you have to create a
Mac volume with the NT server. I don't remember any of the details, but I
do remember working with such a setup before.

Then again, I may have been using one of those Shareware or PD Mac
utilities like Drop-n-Rename. I can't remember the name of it, but there
was a Drop-n-SomethingOrAnother that set the type/creator by file
extension. I remember that it was extremely easy to set up, you could save
a separate icon with your settings, and you could drop an entire folder on
the icon.

I remember thinking that it was very fast even on those old Bernoulli
drives when creating 100s or 1000s of image file resource forks. Probably
close to instantaneous on today's machines & fast networks.

HTH

--
Mark A. Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin' :)