Hi All,

I've a problem with running quicktime streaming video in shockwave from a
machine which accesses the internet through a proxy.

I've read the (extensive) macromedia technotes and searched the list
archives in vain. The problem is this....

I'm streaming quicktime files from a HTTP server through shockwave. When the
HTTP Proxy server settings in the QT settings control panel are set up
correctly, everything works great.

However, in testing, some end users did not have their quicktime control
panel configured correctly. In such cases, shockwave could not stream the
video and simply "locks" the users browser (NT, IE5.5, Shockwave 8).

My question is this: Is there any way for me to establish if the users
quicktime is properly configured, and if not, direct them to an instruction
page.

As a secondary consideration, I'm left wondering why shockwave does not use
the browsers proxy settings to gain access to the QT files and instead
relies on the separate QT Control panel.

If I could ascertain browser proxy settings, I could use the proxy()
command to solve my problem but it does not appear that this is possible.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Best regards

Peter Mee

(cc mails to me directly would be appreciated as I'm in digest mode)