I may have missed some of the earlier comments in this thread but I have
been doing a lot of this kind of stuff by masking the Qt member.
You CAN do this dynamically over Qt playing full screen without causing
flashes but it takes a lot of care.
For example if you do anything that causes a Director redraw in the UNmasked
area this will cause a flash as the change is shown for a moment then
covered up again by the DtS Qt. 'Anything' would include changing sprite
loc, changing member color of text, etc.
Another difficulty is that mask changes can't be synched with updateStage
commands.

I've tried some other approaches like sprite tracks and 2nd  video tracks in
the Qt but they had too much impact on the Qt performance.
Can anyone confirm that Flash tracks have a lower performance hit ? Cause if
so I'll have a go that way too.
I have a suspicion that I should be looking at DVD/MPEG-2 to get real
quality in this area but that sounds like a big jump from what I know.

cheers

--
Richard Tribe
Director Programmer - Interactive dept.