well, hmmm, could you be a little more specific about what it is you want to
create?  If you mean is it possible to make a 3D engine, then Yes you can.
If you want it hardware accelerated, that's...ah.... harder.  If you want
networked yes you can. If you want people to host their own game servers,
that's harder again.

Interestingly, I'm working on a project now making an isometric tile engine
in Director that is turning out nicely, I'm using Diablo II as my model of
decomposition.  Of course, that's just the movement / engine part, (and
prolly some of the movement AI).  As far as a tutorial on how to mimic a
game that has a couple hundred thousand lines of code... I haven't found any
yet.

There is a book on lingo games, which is OK as far as it goes, although it
doesn't go into faking the look of more traditional PC games, its more about
game logic and such.  There is a space invaders game in the back of the
Peachpit director book, but that's not really what your after.  Take a look
at Dave's 3D Engine, the burrow, and some others. If you want a linked list
of this stuff n how to find it (at least the 3D part) check out my article
on www.director-online.com on raytracing and hit the references in the Word
document.  There is at least a list there to get you started on 3D in lingo.

-Andy