>Laser disks are out, so I will replace with DVD player. Also would
>not want to do any rendering or steaming of video.

That steamed video can easily be overcooked.

It's funny really, but those early days had some advantages to them.
It wasn't possible to do full screen digital video, so the solution
was to use chorma-keying to put your graphics over a standard video
picture. These days we're so used to projecting progressive displays
that doing an interlaced presentation is harder to do.

One thing I've seen with DVD-Video played in a DVD-ROM drive (at
least on a Mac) is that a key color is used. Try taking a screenshot
of the movie, and you'll get a full screen graphic that is that flat
color. I have managed to get out of the DVD Player and still have the
video playing (maybe I did it with command-tab, I'm not sure). By
making your desktop be the flat color, it's possible to have a movie
running behind your desktop icons.

If I'm right about that, it ought to be possible to have a stage
color of that key color, and the video should show through where
there are no foreground graphics. You'll still be left with the
problem of controlling the DVD, and I'm not sure if there's an Xtra
for doing that.

Another approach would be to send the computer picture out as
S-Video, and use come sort of video keying unit to layer that onto
the feed from the serially controlled DVD player (if there is such a
thing).