Why "Yes there is!"

There are literally countless ways to do this.  I put together an engine
that does this in a "maze like" setting in my article for DOUG (which I
think is the one you are referring to below, thanks Karina and others for
the pulg") entitled Director Based LIngo Mazes: The Director Dungeon
Crawl.  Doesn't use any math beyond some hard-coded quadding numbers and
adding and subtracting one's and zeroes from positional elements.  It is a
little tricky with the sprite ordering for the ilusion though, you can get
the source and stuff at DOUG.

If you were looking for a more intricate solution I am slowly preparing an
isometric scrolling engine (ala Diablo II) for public consumtion, if thats
more of what your thinking. The iso perspective is semi-3D, there is a
recent DOUG article on those as well (not mine, just too avoid confusion).

And besides, what you got against 3D engines ? <grin>

Andrew Phelps
Department of Information Technology
Rochester Institute of Technology
http://www.it.rit.edu/