If the casts are internal, that means that they are internal to the MOVIE
(not to Director).

Your second question asks about converting external to internal.  Was that
a typo in your first question?

If the casts are external, put them with the movie, and it's best to make
any reference to specific casts or movies to be "mycast" or "mymovie",
instead of "mycast.cst" or "mymovie.dir".  Director will automatically look
for an extension (.dir, .dxr, .dcr) to append to the name.  That's about
the only thing.  Just keep them in the same folder as the movie itself.

- Tab