You can set the browser from the Preferences menu in Director. You might
have set the two versions of Director to point to different browsers.
AFAIK, this setting overrides the default browser property in Windows.

Regards,
Pranav

<snip>
Yet in D8 I get browsername() as netscape on my machine (which is strange
as
I have IE as the default, and that's what D7 opened up the link to).
<snip>