From: "Jakob Hede Madsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: <lingo-l> QuickTime problem

At 17:44 -0500 01_03_28, Charlie Fiskeaux II wrote:
>I'm having problems with some QuickTime movies looking pixelated.
Depending
>on how I compress them, sometimes they look pixelated (like QT movies look
>when they are resized smaller than they should be) on all computers here in
>the office, and sometimes only on mine (they look fine on other PCs and on
>Macs).  In Director, if I turn off Direct to Stage to let Director play
>them, they look fine, but if I turn it back on they are pixelated again.  I
>am compressing them the same way that I compress other movies I have done
>which have always looked fine!  I have tried storing the movie at a higher
>resolution and at a lower resolution, but nothing seems to work.  Any
>suggestions?

 From Direct-l:

Date:         Mon, 26 Mar 2001 13:14:53 -0500
From:         Colin Holgate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:      Re: Sorenson video question(SOLVED)

>turns out that if my monitor resolution is set to anything higher than
>1024X768, which mine was set to 1280X1024 then Sorenson looks like crap
>within Director 8. Adjusting my resolution to 1024X768 fixed the problem.
go
>figure.
>
>It's kind of funny though that turning Direct To Stage OFF would actually
>make the image look normal. You would think the opposite would be true.

There may be a way round this problem then. It seems that your video
is using hardware acceleration to play the Sorenson, and doesn't have
enough VRAM to support the higher resolution. Someone suggested a
solution to another Sorenson problem recently that might apply here.
Go into the movie in QuickTime Player and set the video track to a
graphics mode of Copy Dither. That's enough to make the accelerator
think it can't handle it, and so won't interfere with the video.
It'll still play back fine when DTS.

Jakob