The way I do it is as follows:

Select the open rectangle Tool with the line set to none and draw
a small shape directly onto the stage and set its ink to transparent.

Place this shape off stage and then name the corresponding cast
member  (ex: Pointer).

The following can be a frame script or a movie script, depends on your
requirements.  Let us assume you want to make it a frame script:

on enterFrame
    sprite(?).loc = point (the mouseH, the mouseV) ---(?) stands for
---the number of the channel where your Pointer is in the score.
    sprite(?).member = "the name of your image"
end

When you have finished you can simply swap the cast members
and place the sprite back off stage.

HTH

JohnT