RE:
----------
>From: "Sean Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: RE: <lingo-l> streaming video
>Date: Mon, May 28, 2001, 1:13 AM

>(I rarely get as good as 4 KB/s on my home 56K modem - more usual is 800
>bps)
----------

You should look into another ISP, and probably some decent modem
scripts. At 800bps, you don't worry about how long it takes to buffer a
streaming video - you worry about whether or not users will have the
patience to download stuff like 10k plain HTML text files. You'd measure
downloads of minutes of video by hours and days, and the only Lingo that
would help you is the "lingo" required to convince people to stick
around while that time transpired.

----------
>I understand the concept of increasingly long preload times ;)
>Quality is dictated by the client. Within reason.
>I'm prepared for the preload time, which is why I'm looking at HTTP
>streaming - so that the video can at least *start* playing before the whole
>file is down.
----------

But if your target data rate is, say, 800 bps, then you'll eat that up
with each _frame_ of your clip, if that. Depending on the data rate of
your clip, it would still choke even if there were only a few frames
left once you ran into them. So, you'd pretty much be preloading that
cast member because the video would run so fast compared to the
download. You'd catch up to it so fast, you might as well just preload
that last few seconds (or frames).

----------
>I'm looking for tips about how to approach the http streaming within
>shockwave. Especially about the method I outlined previous.
----------

If you aren't preloading, you have to wait until you grab the first part
of the video file for it to have a readable movieTime and a duration.
Once you can read those, you can stop and start and wait for them, etc.
One way to get that first chunk of the video in fast is to tack a brief
section of Flash Track (in QuickTime) on the head of the clip. This
could be black, some titles, whatever, but whatever it is, it will be
very small and will come in faster than your average video frames.

>Unfortunately, installation of server software isn't an option. Otherwise
>RealVideo sounds like it would be a good option.

Unless you wanted to hit a lot (over 35) of simultaneous users, the
limit of running Real for free. Or, unless you wanted to build
multitrack video-movies that had Flash or (QT) sprites, HREFTracks or
QTVR in them.

Steve Bennett
www.ifmp.net