>I start out with aif sound in sound channel 1 ... then I use a video
>clip ... when I need to go back to aif in channel 1 I've lost my sound
>... how to cede the sound control back to the sound channel after I've
>taken it for the video?

That can happen either way, you end up with either no video sound,
but do get normal sound, or vice versa. The work around is to make
sure that the other type of sound has been stopped completely before
starting the new sound. The fix is to use a better mixer, by setting
the sounddevice to either qt3mix or directsound.