Hi Chris

Yes and No

Get the DirectTTS Xtra from Tomer Berda ( http://www.directXtras.com ).  The
Xtra is pretty solid and works well for text to speech.  The only drawback
is on Win95, 98 and NT4, were you will need to install the SAPI engine and
appropriate voices if need be. Win2K and WinME have the engine and at least
on default voice installed.  The Mac version of the Xtra just piggybacks on
whatever SAPI engine is installed with the MacOS and therefore does not
require any additional components to run. I believe DirectTTS works for D7
and above and is capable of running in Shockwave provided the other
components have been previously installed (ie. SAPI Engine) the Xtra is SW
Safe and will download and autoinstall if configured properly.

Give it a shot (there is a demo version available).  We have used it for a
recent product and found it to be fairly reliable - we did have to set the
soundKeepDevice to false to get it run on some Win98 boxes with SB128 sound
cards.

Sincerely

Mark R. Jonkman