First, that should give you an error, because member(1).text evaluates to a
string.  So, I don't know why it's not just throwing you an outright error.

That aside, it's because the point is that a while statement evaluates an
expression to either be 0 or non-zero; a better way might be:

   repeat while (member(1).text <> "")

- Tab